Soup is a fantastic option for the budget, because you can incorporate all the veggies you have leftover at the end of the week that need to get used before they become compost material. It allows for variety in flavor, experimentation which I find really important for eating keto, and it can be used throughout the week so you don’t get caught without a meal plan. Plus it’s a one-pot dish so clean is easy.
What I did for this soup is use leftover turkey broth that I made by boiling the heck out of raw bones. So the broth went into a large pot along with all the leftover veggies that I chopped, plus Kerrygold butter for healthy fat and amazing flavor, romano cheese for more of the same, Rao’s Marinara, the leftover turkey from making the broth, and spices. I heated it just shy of a hard boil for ten minutes, then turned it off and covered for 20 minutes. Since there are no chunky, carb-heavy, insulin spiking potatoes, the soup cooks quickly, and using low-carb Rao’s Marinara means it will already be perfectly flavored, a real time saver. I always have several jars on hand for quick meals so I don’t get caught empty-handed for meal ideas.
Ingredients: 6 cups turkey broth – 2 cups Rao’s Marinara – 2 cups turkey from the bone – 2 cups chopped broccoli – 1/4 cup Kerrygold butter – 1 medium onion – 2 bell peppers – 1/2 yellow zucchini – 4 baby carrots – 2 celery stalks – 1 cup shredded romano – 1/2 teaspoon cayenne pepper – 1 teaspoon dried basil – salt and pepper to taste
Remember to read labels!. Rao’s Marinara has 4 net carbs per 1/2 cup. I’ve seen sauces as high as 14 carbs for the same size serving.
- Carrots are onions are higher in sugar than the other vegetables, so they are used sparingly. Feel free to reduce or leave out.
- To make dairy-free, leave out romano cheese and replace butter with avocado oil.
- If nightshades are problematic, this would still be savory without the marinara.
- Choose your own color bell peppers. I used yellow, red and orange.
- Kerrygold butter is made from grass-fed cows, for the proper Omega 3/6 balance.
- Use chicken instead of turkey. Experiment!
If you’re not sure where to find these ingredients or would like a keto resource in print, they are listed below. Keto on, Warriors! For more details on how to get your pantry keto-ready, see this Stock Your Kitchen post.