Hemp hearts are my new favorite Keto staple. With a texture like couscous and a nutrition profile perfect for ketogenic eating, hemp hearts can be added to many dishes for bulk, texture, and a subtle nutty flavor. 3 tablespoons contain 10 grams of protein, 180 calories, 1 carb and 1 gram of fiber which equals ZERO NET CARBS. And they can be eaten raw over yogurt or cottage cheese, as well as sautéed in butter or added to dishes. Check out what I’ve made over the last couple weeks!
Hemp Hearts for Keto Meal Ideas
1. Hemp Hearts in Stirfry: can be added to a typical cauliflower rice stir fry for that grainy texture that some people on Keto miss. I use liquid aminos in place of soy sauce with garlic, red pepper flakes, salt and pepper to sauté in avocado oil with diced chicken and eggs.
2. Cheddar Cheesy Hemp Hearts Soup: use any soup base you want. I use chicken stock, cream cheese, cheddar cheese to my sautéed onions for a savory, creamy comfort food soup perfect for fall.
3. Steak and Hemp Hearts with Eggs: scrambled my eggs into a bit of cauliflower rice and hemp hearts with veggies. Seasoned with paprika, added a couple ounces of steak, and voila, a hearty breakfast with plenty of protein takes just a few minutes to whip up.
Rice and bread and pasta! Those new to Keto long for substitutes for their favorite starch. Hemp hearts make a fantastic rice substitute! Versatile enough to add bulk to many dishes. The keto recipe below is a cooked rice-substitute dish, but cooking hemp hearts is not required. They can be added raw to any dish, sprinkled on salad even. Get creative.
Hemp Heart Rice Substitute Recipe
Sauté 1/2 small onion in 1T Kerrygold butter. Add 6T hemp hearts, 1/2 cup chicken stock, 4 oz cut chicken breast and cover for about 5 minutes. Then add 1 cup chopped spinach. I also threw in a few pine nuts. Season to taste with salt and pepper. Makes 2 servings.
I’ve recently discovered Havarti cheese so naturally, a Keto cheesesteak made sense. Havarti melts really well. I used it both as a topper for the veggies and to thicken the sauce a tad.
Keto Cheesesteak with Havarti Recipe
1. Sauté 3 stalks celery and 3 green onion stalks in 1/2 cup bone broth and 1 T butter. Season with tarragon, salt, pepper.
2. When celery is slightly soft, add 4 cherry tomatoes and handful of fresh spinach. Add one slice Havarti cheese and stir till melted.
3. Arrange drained veggies on plate and sauté 4 ounces flank steak in remaining juice.
4. Top veggies with another slice Havarti cheese and top with steak.
Bell peppers would be a delicious addition, but I had to go with what I had in the fridge. Keto eating is all about invention, creativity, and experimentation. This is a hearty, savory, filling meal. Bone broth has a host of benefits including improving gut health. You can buy it in cartons or make homemade bone broth.
If you’re new to Keto, have a look around. I keep things super simple, from recipes to Keto concepts. You’ll see a few links to products I like. If you click and buy, I earn a teensy weensy commission but you won’t pay one penny more. Thank you ever so kindly!